January 2, 2018
For quite some time, you’ve been suffering from a lack of confidence and self-esteem because of your missing teeth. And this is all so strange because, by nature, you’re a happy, positive-minded person, but this life changing event has really taken a toll on you. That’s why you’ve made your mind up to do something about your situation, but you need some direction, and your dentist provides just that, recommending dental implants of San Antonio to restore your life to normal. Read on to learn why this is the best option for you.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are surgically inserted posts that are made from a strong material called titanium. These posts replace your missing roots and provide a solid foundation for the chosen application to attach to.
The process of receiving implants usually takes three steps to complete:
- First Visit – At the first visit, your dentist will determine whether you are a good candidate for implants by taking X-rays to check your jawbone structure. You need to have enough healthy bone to support the implant process.
- Next Visit – At your next visit, your local expert will perform the implant surgery and place a temporary fixture to protect the area while your gums and jaw heal. During this time, your custom crown, bridge or prosthetic will be fabricated.
- Final Visit – At your final visit, after examining your mouth to make sure that the healing and fusing of the posts into your jaw are sufficient, your dentist will install your permanent fixture.
The Advantages of Dental Implants
There are several reasons why this process is the best route to take for restoring your smile:
- Success – Dental implants have a 97% success rate after 10 years.
- No Support Needed – Because your implants are affixed to your jawbone, there is no need for abutments for your fixtures to bond to.
- Improves Self-Confidence – Regaining your smile also restores your confidence and self-esteem.
- No Slips – One of the qualms that people have with dentures, is that they tend to slip, leading to embarrassing situations.
- Better Eating – Another problem that people have with dentures, is that they partially cover the palate, which affects their ability to fully taste food. This problem is eliminated with implants, which allow you to have a natural eating experience.
- Pronunciation – You’ll enjoy better pronunciation with the more natural feeling application in your mouth.
- Jawbone Support – A danger of not addressing missing teeth is that it can eventually cause bone loss. With your new implants, you won’t have to worry about that because your jaw will have the necessary tension applied to encourage continued bone growth.
- Longevity – One of the greatest assets of dental implants, is that they can last a lifetime if cared for properly. That means you’ll have a beautiful smile and healthy function for years to come.
Sometimes our problems seem so daunting, when all we needed was a little bit of information. As it pertains to your missing teeth, you now have the knowledge that you need to make a difference. Your relief and gateway to a new life are just a phone call away. Reach out to your local dentist today and move boldly into your new life!
About the Author
Dr. Christopher J. Holland received his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio and then went on to complete a General Practice Residency on Scott Air Force Base in Illinois. With over 25 years of experience, Dr. Holland practices at New Image Dentistry and can be reached for more information through his website.