January 12, 2020
Countless individuals wish they had straighter, more attractive teeth. For years, going to a dentist or orthodontist was the only way to accomplish that. In recent years, however, mail-order clear aligners have skyrocketed in popularity. Patients are attracted to these plans because they cost less than in-office treatments and do not require regular office visits. So, then, what is the downside to mail-order aligners? In September 2019, a class action lawsuit was filed against SmileDirectClub, a popular clear aligner service. Let’s talk about the lawsuit and what it means for you if you’re thinking about straightening your teeth.
About the Lawsuit
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit include one patient and three orthodontists. Some of their reasons for filing the suit include:
- The patient said SmileDirectClub worsened the condition of her teeth.
- The lawsuit claims that SmileDirectClub has responded to criticism with “a deliberate, intentional, and well-lawyered campaign to stifle any legitimate, publicly-stated concerns or criticisms of its product and/or business practices.”
- SmileDirectClub claims to partner with dentists and orthodontists to oversee some of its treatments, but the lawsuit calls that claim into question.
A Legitimate Basis for Concern?
The lawsuit puts forth some serious accusations, so should potential SmileDirectClub members be concerned? Yes. There are some significant risks associated with the program and ones like it, including:
- Without proper supervision by a dentist or orthodontist, a course of clear aligners could seriously damage teeth.
- If mail-order clear aligners do not work properly, patients will have to spend a significant amount of money to correct the problems caused by them. Of course, if the problems are particularly serious, it might not even be possible to fully reverse them.
- Dentists and orthodontists have a personal interest in their patients. Without regular checkup appointments, mail-order aligner companies have no way to show such interest. Patients are just a name on an invoice.
The Best Way to Straighten Teeth
The best way to achieve a straighter smile is with the help of a local, qualified dental professional. They will evaluate your oral health, talk to you about your goals, and be with you every step of the way during your treatment. You can rightly expect your results to be beautiful and to improve your oral health.
Many dental professionals prefer to use Invisalign to help their patients straighten their teeth. Invisalign has an excellent reputation. It also uses patented SmartTrack material to fabricate its aligners, which is known for its comfort and secure fit.
Do you want to align your teeth and achieve a healthier, more attractive smile? Play it safe and opt for an in-office treatment instead of mail order aligners.
About the Author
Dr. Christopher J. Holland is a preferred Invisalign provider in San Antonio. He earned his dental degree in 1990, and during the decades since then, he has pursued advanced training in numerous areas. To learn more about Dr. Holland, Invisalign, or our practice in general, contact New Image Dentistry at 210-804-1558.