Nightguards for Bruxism – San Antonio, TX
Better Protection for Your Smile While You Sleep
Are you prone to grinding your teeth at night? This common condition, also known as bruxism, can have a lasting impact on your smile, overall health, and self-esteem if left untreated. Fortunately, at New Image Dentistry, our team of professionals can deliver a safe and effective approach that will better protect your teeth and your smile. With a customized nightguard, you can worry less about the potential wear and tear on your tooth enamel as well as feel relief from any chronic jaw pain you may be experiencing. If you think you could benefit from a nightguard, don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team today to schedule an appointment. We’ll be happy to see you and provide a solution that will keep your smile healthy and beautiful for years to come.
What is Bruxism?
Bruxism is a common condition among children, teenagers, and even adults. It involves teeth grinding and clenching throughout while you are asleep. Although it can occur throughout the day, it is most common at night. Depending on your lifestyle habits, facial development, or any recent trauma, there are many possible reasons for it to develop (i.e., stress, a misaligned bite, sudden injury).
How to Tell if You Grind Your Teeth at Night
Unless your partner or someone tells you that you grind your teeth at night, it may not always be easy to tell if you have this common problem. However, symptoms can develop that are often attributed to teeth grinding or clenching and should lead you to seek treatment sooner rather than later, including:
- A popping jaw or clicking noise when opening and closing your mouth
- Worn down tooth enamel
- Broken, chipped, or fractured teeth
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Pain in the neck, ears, or face
- Headaches and/or migraines
Benefits of a Nightguard
When talking to one of our qualified dentists about receiving a nightguard, they will likely go over the many benefits you can expect while wearing one at night, some of which include:
- The ability to better protect your teeth. Once your permanent teeth erupt, they are designed to remain in place for the rest of your life. Should you damage or lose one, another natural tooth will not come in to replace it. Instead, you’ll be expected to seek artificial restorations and prosthetics to restore your smile. Fortunately, with a nightguard, you can better protect your teeth and avoid the potential for seriously damaged or worn-down teeth, allowing you to keep them longer.
- The chance for a healthier smile. It is natural that as you age, your tooth enamel will become thinner and more susceptible to breaks, chips, or small fractures. But if you want to keep these from happening, a nightguard can be an effective way to keep your teeth from grinding against each other and wearing them down further over time. As a result, you can enjoy a healthier smile as well as all the advantages that come with natural, healthy teeth.
- The ability to wear a customized oral appliance. Not only will your nightguard be customized according to your individual smile, but it will be comfortable to wear at night. Unlike store-bought versions that are one-size-fits-all, these are based on impressions taken of your teeth. This ensures your oral appliance does not pose problems or become uncomfortable to wear while you are asleep.
Caring for Your Nightguard
If you want to make sure that your nightguard stays clean and free of bad bacteria, there are a few things you can do, such as:
- Rinse your nightguard each time you prepare to put it in your mouth as well as when you take it out.
- Mild hand soap can help clean away any bacteria or saliva.
- Do not use abrasive toothpaste or cleaner, as this can scratch the plastic.
- Never use hot water to rinse or clean your nightguard.
- When you are not wearing it, make sure to keep it in a protective case.
- Should it become damaged or lost, inform us as soon as possible so we can have a new one created.